Pay by Link is an easy and secure way that allows merchants to receive payments from customers. You will generate a payment link by providing payment details like the amount and currency in the Common Portal. You can then share the link with your customers through the desired engagement channels. When your customers visit the link, they are prompted to complete the payment. After they have completed the payment you can review the payment status and transaction details in the Common Portal, in the Payment Links page.
Note If you are going to perform mail order or telephone order transactions (MOTO) where the cardholder shares their card details and you enter their details on their behalf you will need use Virtual Terminal.
Pay by Link benefits
- If you do not have an e-commerce solution in-place or are still building your web shop or mobile app and you need to collect payments from your customers.
- If your business is handling phone transactions in a Call Center, you can accept payments in a secure way, thus preventing bank details being shared over the phone.
- If you need to collect payments in addition to web and in-store checkout by accepting payments on multiple channels (Email / Call Center / SMS / Social Media / QR Codes), thus speeding up the transactions.
- If you want to reduce the cart abandonment rates by placing payment links directly in the message sent as a follow-up to customers that left before making a purchase.
- If you want to offer your business customers a simpler and quicker way to pay their invoices, thus improving your cash flow.
- Merchant Cashier – a merchant cashier user can generate payment links: create, set the payment and the customer details, send the customer the payment link and follow the transaction status.
- Merchant Supervisor – a merchant supervisor can generate and send payment links and initiate a refund.
🚫 No Access:
- Merchant Admin
- Merchant Reviewer
- Merchant User
How to use Pay by Link
In order to generate the payment link, you must log into the Common Portal, navigate to Payment Tools > Pay by Link and click on the Create Payment Link button at the top of the page:
On the next page you will be prompted to enter the following details:
- Select the Organization to which the transaction belongs. If the merchant account is associated with only one organization, this field will pre-populate. If the merchant is associated with multiple organizations, select one organization from the list.
- Select the Payment Method allowed for this particular transaction. If there is only one payment method, this field will pre-populate. If available, you can select multiple payment methods.
- (optional) Enable 3-D Secure Authentication if required. If you enable 3-D Secure Authentication you will be required to select the 3-D Secure Authentication contract and provide customer details.
- Set the Link Expiration time to choose for how long a payment link should remain valid. The maximum is 30 days from the time you created the link. Once expired, the payment link cannot be accessed by the customer.
- Set the Transaction Amount that you want to request from the customer. The currency code will be determined based on the Payment Provider Contract. If a contract is configured to process multiple currencies, select one currency code from the list.
- (optional) Add the Merchant Reference to identify the transaction or link this transaction to an order ID generated by your own inventory system.
- (conditional) If you have enabled 3-D Secure Authentication then you need to provide mandatory Customer Details.
- Once the configuration has been completed click on "Create payment link" to proceed.
- You are now redirected back to the Payment Links page. In the next section we will go through the steps to share the link with your customer.
Sharing the Payment Link
After creating the Payment Link you will need to share it with your customer. You can share it through any channel, the Payment Link is mobile friendly.
- After creating the Payment Link you are redirected to the Payment Links page. You can recognize your Payment Link by the Amount, Merchant Reference, Email or by using the search filters.
- Click on your payment link to view more details.
- Confirm the details of the Payment Link.
- The Link URL is what needs to be shared with the customer. Click on the Copy link button.
- The link has now been copied to your clipboard. You can now share the link with your customer through a channel of your choosing. In the next step we will confirm the outcome of the transaction.
Confirmation of payment
The Payment Link history allows you to view if your customer has visited the link, initiated a payment, and the outcome of the transaction. If the payment failed or has expired you can Re-enable the link. If the payment has been completed successfully you can View Transaction Details.
Manage Pay by Link transactions
You can choose a transaction from the Payment Links list and click on View Transaction Details to see the Payment Link History (when it was accessed by your customers) and possible Actions to be performed, like refunds.
Other details available by clicking on the Payment Link:
- Transaction status: Not paid / Paid / Failed / Expired
- Link History & Payment link URL
- Link creation and expiration date
- Organization name
- Payment methods
- Transaction amount
- Customer details & Billing / Shipping Address
- Re-enable link if the link is expired
- Copy link if the transaction was not paid
- Disable link if the transaction will not be paid
- View transaction details if the transaction was paid
- If the transaction failed 3 times, you must create a new payment link.