gRPC is a modern open source high performance RPC framework that can run in any environment. It can efficiently connect services in and across data centers with pluggable support for load balancing, tracing, health checking and authentication. It is also applicable in last mile of distributed computing to connect devices, mobile applications and browsers to backend services.
Main usage scenarios:
- Efficiently connecting polyglot services in microservices style architecture
- Connecting mobile devices, browser clients to backend services
- Generating efficient client libraries
Core features benefits:
- Idiomatic client libraries in 10 languages
- Highly efficient on wire and with a simple service definition framework
- Bi-directional streaming with http/2 based transport
- Pluggable auth, tracing, load balancing and health checking
Our gRPC services are pre-installed on every unit we distribute and are accessible from a custom written application of from an outside gRPC client.