License Change Notification (LCN)
License Change Notification (LCN) works as a message service generating automatic subscription notifications for your 2Checkout account. Use the notifications to process subscription data into your own management systems by synchronizing it with 2Checkout account events. 2Checkout generates notifications for subscription update and expiration events (including past-due notifications).
How can I use LCN?
Use LCN to automate back-end functions for your services, including but not limited to:
- Creating end-user accounts
- Providing access to acquired services
- Manage subscriptions
- Fulfilling purchases
- Engaging subscribers
- Converting trials to paid subscriptions
- Cutting access to a delinquent account
2Checkout’s webhooks (IPN and LCN) operate asynchronously.
How does LCN work?
- Create one or multiple LCN listener pages on your website. 2Checkout sends LCNs to publicly accessible servers.
- Configure the LCN settings of your 2Checkout account to point to the URLs of your default/preferred listener pages. Our system performs a GET request against the URL you fill in and expects an HTTP 200 code as a response. Make sure that your URL can be queried via a GET request from our webserver IPs.
- Set up multiple URLs if you require more listener pages, such as in testing scenarios in which you don’t want to use your default LCN listener.
- 2Checkout sends subscription notifications to the endpoints you defined when subscribers change specific subscription details, using secure (HTTPS) POST.
- 2Checkout uses an HMAC_MD5 signature to validate the HTTPS POST. Calculate the signature using data sent and your 2Checkout account’s secret key, following the instructions included in this article.
- Your custom LCN listener scripts consume the notifications and process the info received.
- Configure your LCN listener to output a read receipt confirmation on the listener page after receiving a valid LCN message. This article includes guidance on how to generate the confirmation.
- In the absence of a confirmation from one of your LCN listeners, 2Checkout continues to send notifications to that endpoint, according to the failure retry process, until you provide a valid response.
- The 2Checkout system regularly checks the status of subscriptions to identify expired items and modifications. 2Checkout then sends notifications for expirations as well as for updates that occurred in the last 24 hours prior to the moment when it performs the check. 2Checkout does not re-send notifications for the same event unless the status of the subscription changes or it identifies additional modifications.
Set up the default LCN URL
- Log into your 2Checkout account.
- Navigate to Dashboard → Integrations → Webhooks and API.
- Click on the LCN Settings tab.
- Click on the Edit button to edit an existing URL corresponding to your default LCN listener or click on the Add LCN URL button to add a URL corresponding to your default LCN listener in the LCN URL field.
- Save your settings by clicking on the Update button at the bottom of the page.
- 2Checkout checks the validity of the URLs in terms of access to ensure that notifications reach your LCN listener without any issues.
Set up multiple LCN URLs
You can set up multiple endpoints for your LCN notifications, for scenarios in which you have multiple Internal Systems that require receiving this information. You can set up three URLs for your notifications.
Navigate to LCN settings under Integrations → Webhooks and API, in your Merchant Control Panel Dashboard. Select the LCN settings tab and click on the Add LCN URL button to create an additional URL configuration for your notifications.
To find out more about the NOTIFICATION_URL functionality, read more here.
To view or debug LCN notifications during the integration phase, place TEST orders.
Alternatively, search for specific subscriptions in the Subscriptions area. On the subscription details page, you have the option to resend notifications. You can also see how many LCN notifications have been sent so far for a subscription. Opt to reissue the LCN for debugging and 2Checkout re-generates and re-sends the LCN, but also displays a copy of the content sent in the control panel.
Secure your LCN script
For security reasons, 2Checkout recommends that you restrict access to the LCN script.