Vipps is a Norwegian mobile payment application designed for smartphones developed by DNB. Vipps was released in 2015 and it is currently Norway's largest payment application. Vipps consumers use the Vipps application, called wallet, which contains a MasterCard and/or Visa card linked to the Vipps account. The account is connected to the telephone number of the Vipps user.
Consumers can use Vipps to pay for bills, products, and services, or to send money to each other. For B2Bs, Vipps offers an easier and secure way to accept money instead of cash.
This guide requires familiarity with Accepting payments.
Vipps is used by Norwegian customers and Norwegian merchants for online and in-store payments that are made in their local NOK currency.
To use Vipps, shoppers must have a Norwegian phone number.
As a merchant, you can:
- increase your conversion rate, as Vipps is the preferred Norwegian payment method
- offer your shoppers localized payment methods making your business more attractive for them
- simplify payment acceptance across different sales channels
Shoppers in Norway can use their preferred payment method during the checkout flow and thus increase their buying rate.
Verifone processes B2C payments with Vipps via Nets (i.e., Verifone is not involved in the funds' flow) and provides Hosted Checkout, Pay By Link, Portal for Payment Actions (capture, cancel, refund), transactions reporting, 3DS report, and settlements reporting.
If you are already using Verifone's Hosted Checkout, once you activate Vipps eCommerce as a payment method, this will be displayed in your shopping cart. When your shoppers choose to pay with Vipps, they are redirected to the Vipps payment flow to finalize their purchase. Then, Verifone returns the transaction response/confirmation to you (merchant). After the payment confirmation, Verifone redirects the shopper automatically back to your shop.
- To use Vipps as a payment method, you need to submit a request for activation.
- A Verifone admin will help you with your new settings in Verifone Central.
- You need to provide the Verifone admin with the following details:
- Norwegian Organization number (Chamber of Commerce number)
- Merchant URL
- Merchant Logo URL (if you do not have a logo to be used during the onboarding process, you can use the Verifone logo which can be found at Verifone logo.zip)
- Business email address
4. The Verifone admin will set your processing gateway, 3DS settings and create your Vipps wallet.
5. You will then receive the onboarding email notifications that inform you about the creation of your account and the setting of a username and password so that you can access Verifone Central.
Integrate Vipps as a payment method
You can accept payments through Vipps via:
You can perform the following payment actions using Vipps, either via Verifone Central or via the Verifone eComm API.